Monday, November 04, 2013

Thanks, SATs!!

Once again, fall is upon us and I start proctoring standardized torture...I mean tests. The upside is I get to take a look at great stacks of books. Last month at the SATs I started in on some really excellent ones.

 And here are my quite uninformed opinions as of today -

Starstruck by Rachel Shukert - Started reading this story of a very sheltered girl in Los Angeles in the 1930s who is "discovered" by a producer in a soda shop. There are two other "stars" one is a successful girl who has a horrible stage mother and one has a shady past and is currently missing. It looks terrific and I just bought a copy for the library.
Possibility of summer reading - 75%

Margot by Jillian Cantor - This alternate history surrounds a Philadelphia secretary named Margie Franklin who is actually Margot Frank, sister of Anne Frank. And the book is set as the movie of her sister's diary is opening  and how it effects Margie and her secret life. I bought a copy for the library.
Possibility of summer reading - - 62%

Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn - Meh... I think they are werewolves or something. I forgot everything about it as soon as I put it down.I think it would definitely appeal to paranormal fans, but LIAR broke me for werewolves.
Possibility of summer reading  - 0%

Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway - A girl just out of college is hired to research the past subjects of the "Ten Girls to Watch" column of a successful magazine as she is also navigating an awkward breakup. Very cute but not a ton of teen appeal.
Possibility of summer reading - 8%
Possibility of my middle aged lady book club reading this - 68%

The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban - A very evocative story set in a boarding school where each student is expected to write a tragedy paper their senior year. One student finds one fully written waiting for him the first day of school telling the story of his room's previous occupant and the love story that no one knew about that happened to him. I bought it for the library.
Possibility of summer reading - 80%

A Really Awesome Mess by Trish Cook and Brendan Halpin - An interesting he said/she said story about two kids at a school for teens with emotional problems. He has been sent by what seem to be deranged parents to treat sex addiction or something and she is blind to the fact that she has an eating disorder. I like the characters, but the premise is not realistic enough to be real and not fanciful enough to be...well...fanciful.
Possibility of summer reading - 29%

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan - This got great reviews and I usually love David Levithan, but I couldn't fall into the story like I did with EVERY DAY or THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY which I adored. These are the (I am assuming eventually) related stories of a group of boys who are coming to terms with love and acceptance. There is also a heartbreaking chorus of spirits of men who died in the early years of the AIDS crisis which some people found off putting, but I really loved. I will be buying it next order.
Possibility of summer reading - 72%

Unremembered by Jessica Brody - I don't remember much of this - Oh the irony! - but I did buy it and will read it. Although I am in the midst of Patrick Ness' MORE THAN THIS which also involves a tragedy and amnesia of a sort. A girl is the lone survivor of a plane crash and can't remember why she was on the plane. Twisty enough for me...
Possiblity of summer reading - 57%

 Up next - the PSATs!

No comments: