Monday, November 04, 2013

Thanks, PSATs!

Then two weeks ago during the PSATs I had a stack of 10 books, seven of which I fell in love with. (I have since forgotten the other three...)


 Purple Daze by Sherry Shahan - I can't decide if I love or hate the title. The cover looks pretty good. I was obsessed with books about the 60s when I was in my upper teens. I think I would have loved this story in poems about a group of friends in that era. I bought it for the library and plan to finish it.
Possibility of summer reading 50%.

 The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston - It seems like a book about a family in the witness protection program, but it could be more ominious. I can't tell yet. But I bought it and I plan on reading it.
Possibility of summer reading 60%.

The Infinite Moment of Us by Lauren Myracle - Oh love, love, love! This was a wonderful love story about two kids from very different backgrounds who fall in love the summer after graduation.  It was pretty specific in the love scenes, but so sweet and respectful of first love. I finished it because it was the last one on my pile and I just couldn't stop reading!
Possibility of summer reading 5%

Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller - The first two chapters of this were INTENSE! I was completely hooked. It was all I could do to put it down to move on to the next book. A girl has lived "off the grid" with her mother for years after a nasty divorce. When the mother (who is clearly mentally ill) is arrested, she is reunited with the father she was told didn't want her. I bought it for the library and plan to inhale it next!
Possiblity of summer reading 90%

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein - I am 38 pages from the end of this book and I had to leave it in the car so I wouldn't finish it at work where everyone can see me cry. It is about Rose, an American ferrying planes for the British during WWII who ends up a prisoner at Ravensbruck, a concentration camp. You know that she survives from the beginning, but the way the story draws you in to her experience is amazing. It is by the author of CODE NAME VERITY which I was a huge fan of last year, and even though (so far) there is no huge reveal like in VERITY, I like this one even more. I am surprised that I have not yet bought it, but I will.
Possibility of summer reading 85%

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I loved it so much - full review coming.

To Be Perfectly Honest by Sonya Sones - Oh Sonya Sones, with your clever novels in verse. How can I resist you? This has humor, lying and movie stars. These are a few of my favorite things! It won't be out in paperback by summer but it is on the list I have already started for 2015!

No comments: