Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ironman


Ironman
Originally uploaded by barbfecteau.
I like Chris Crutcher a lot. And apparently, so do many of you. According to a few English teachers who teach Ironman in their classes, it is a favorite. And with good reason. Everyone(except mean people) likes the story of an underdog who emerges victorious over all the people who try to keep them down.

I read this weeks ago and thus have forgotten most of the important plot points. So I will just say that I remember his father is a controlling horror show and his teachers (except for his evil coach) are pretty nice. I thought the other kids in the anger management group were really well written, too. And there is a big race at the end. I wonder how that will turn out...

I just read my first Chris Crutcher book last summer The Sledding Hill and it was fantastic - it is told from the point of view of a dead boy. I also liked Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, for the title alone. Ironman reminded me of Alt Ed by Catherine Atkins, another story of high schoolers who are brought together to work out problems that are generally the result of other people's messed up behavior and attitudes. Another great book about friendships that save lives is Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going.

No comments: