Friday, August 25, 2006

And Then There Were None


And Then There Were None
Originally uploaded by barbfecteau.
Now this is what I call summer reading! This was a fun read with no excess learning. Just a really good, somewhat gory story. The ending was wonderful. I read it late at night and I kept trying to stay awake to find out who the killer was and yet I was exhausted but I needed to know! Finally I read the last chapter and fell asleep with the mystery solved. When I woke up the next morning I couldn't for the life of me remember who it was! So I got to read the whole last chapter again and it was brilliantly revealed, again!

Agatha Christie was never on my list of mystery writers for some reason, but I plan to read her now. Although I hear that once you start reading a lot, it becomes pretty easy to determine "who done it".

I will say nothing about the story because it is pretty much all crime and denouement. But basically people are getting killed left and right and the survivors are getting pretty nervous. I have already put the movie in my netflicks queue.

And since I recommend all my favorite mystery authors in the Early Autumn posting I will refrain from listing them again. But I will add Walter Mosely, who I mentioned in the Uncle Tom's Cabin post as a writer on slavery and the black experience, because his Easy Rawlins mysteries are unbeliveably good. And if you like the English mysteries Martha Grimes has a wonderful series, each of which is named for an English pub. There is a Scottish series set in a small town by M.C. Beaton which are clever and easily digestible.

No comments: