Friday, August 25, 2006

A Doll's House


A Doll's House
Originally uploaded by barbfecteau.
Whoo-hoo! With this post I catch up with all the reading I have done thus far. I am a few chapters into The Crazy Horse Electric Game. And I am going to visit my grandma for a week. She lives in the middle of nowhere and naps in the afternoon. Needless to say, I shall be finishing the summer reading list! And I may even get to read a few things I actually want to read.

But back to A Doll's House... I remember reading this in high school and thinking it was stupid. Then I read it in college and it made me angry. Then I just read it now (and yet each time I read it I can never remember a thing about it - go figure) and it made me dreadfully sad. Nora is deadly irritating - but I saw her pain a lot more in this reading. I have met women like her and I usually feel pity. And men like Torvald still exist - although thankfully in lesser numbers. Be ever vigilant young women.

Again, I try to be cryptic because this is definitely worth reading and I want to leave its revelations intact. And it is really short. "Hurrah for short books!" cries each and every high school student I have spoken to this summer.

Since Ibsen is the beginning and the end of my knowledge of Norwegian literature, I will focus on the seeds of feminism in this play. My favorite overtly feminist writer is Marge Piercy. She wrote Woman on the Edge of Time and He She and It(science fiction feminism); Vida and Summer People (hippie-dippy feminism); and Gone to Soldiers and Sex Wars (really great historical feminism). She also writes some excellent poetry.

No comments: