Saturday, June 03, 2006

If You Liked House of the Scorpion...


scorpion
Originally uploaded by barbfecteau.
...then you have excellent taste.

I am trying to think of other books to recommend that have similar elements. I am not very science-fiction-y so I haven't read much in these areas. However, I have started a few and thought, "Hey, this isn't bad. As soon as I am done with all the BHS summer reading, I am going to come back and finish this."

One book I really liked was Feed by M. T. Anderson. It is quite dark, but at the same time funny and interesting. Basically in the world in which Titus and his friends live, the internet is piped into their brains from birth and everything they experience is layered with tons of outside information. Titus meets a girl who was raised without the feed. And I can say no more.

Uglies by Scott Westerfield is also really good. In this world, when you turn 16 you are turned into a "Pretty". Tally is almost 16 and dreams about when she gets to become a "Pretty". While she is waiting for her surgery and her entrance into perfect society - she meets Shay who is not all that excited about becoming a ""Pretty" at all. There are a couple of sequels to this as well.

If you like the ideal of using people for spare parts (and who doesn't?) but don't really like science fiction, I recommend My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. It is the story of Anna, who is conceived and born to provide bone marrow cells for a sister who has cancer. Some of the 10th grade English classes read this and then they come to the library and ask me if I have anything else by this writer because it is so good.

No comments: