Friday, June 30, 2006

Fahrenheit 451


Fahrenheit 451
Originally uploaded by barbfecteau.
This book made me a wee but nervous. I can see myself getting burned atop a pile of books and then at the last minute screaming "I changed my mind!" Frankly, this was my least favorite of the 10th grade books and I expected to love it the most. Don't get me wrong - it was a teriffic book, but I was very aware of the fact that I was reading it the whole time. The other books I fell into and was carried away. The writing in this was too stilted - I never felt lost in it. (Not that I think I could do any better - it is just the style of the writing that didn't appeal to me, not the quality.)

Tha being said - the story was great. Fireman gone bad. Or good - depending on how you look at it. This was one of the few summer reading books I had read before but that was 20 years ago and I remembered nothing except for the big TVs and the hoboes at the end.

I have already recommended all my cautionary tales for other books. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and Feed by M.T. Anderson. And come to think of it He, She, and It by Marge Piercy. All my sci-fi recomendations were of the same cloth. I seem to have hit the wall here. I can list some books that I have never read that others seem to like. 1984 by Orwell. I know, isn't it shocking that a librarian such as myself has never read this? The Giver by Lois Lowry which of course you read in seventh grade. Did you know there are two other companion pieces? They are called Gathering Blue and The Messenger and someday I am going to read them! And since I haven't recommended The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak in awhile, I will do it again, since this book is one of the best I have read this year and it contains book burning.

And now I am finished with the sophomore summer reading! I am as well read as the average 10th grader. Hurrah for me!

No comments: