Saturday, June 03, 2006

House of the Scorpion


scorpion
Originally uploaded by barbfecteau.
This was actually the first book of the summer reading books that I read - but I didn't want to write about it until I was sure it was going to be on the summer reading list. I was a little surprised that a book this exciting would be allowed. I am joking, of course. ALL the books on summer reading are fascinatingly exciting.

I don't want to say too much about this book because it is fairly suspenseful and I don't want to give anything away. Here is all you are going to get out of me for plot: Matthew is a clone, he lives on a opium farm, things get weird. And there are no spark notes! You have to read it! But don't worry, once you get started, you really will fly through.

One of the things that struck me about the book was the settings. For some reason they were really vivid to me. Usually I am a pretty lazy reader when it comes to descriptions so that I imagine every book taking place somewhere I have already been, or seen in a movie and I just ignore the descriptive parts. (It occurs to me that this probably is the sort of thing I shouldn't be saying. Oh well, already typed...) But reading this book, I found it really easy to picture the settings.

I know this book looks huge - give it five chapters and you will stop counting pages, guaranteed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You called him Matthew. But the main character's name is Matteo, not Matthew.