Tuesday, January 03, 2012

What I Read in 2011

Here is the list of books that I read this year. There are 91 of them.  There were really only 85 of them before Christmas, but I really wanted to have at least 100 for the new year. So I started reading children's books. I do have some standards, I only read the ones on School Library Journal's Best Books of the Year list. But then I felt guilty so I also read some more grown-up books. And  little more YA and eventually just decided I wasn't going to hit 100. It is good not to be ruled by these arbitrary numbers.

And since I am all about changing it up, I have made a radical departure. Usually I start with the books I could barely stand on my list and then move on to my three and four star books and then hit you with the five star books. But who wants to listen to me whine about what I didn't like? So here, right up front, are the five star books! The books that I loved - that I could not put down to pay attention to my family or even make snacks. They might seem like they are in no particular order, but they are in the order in which I read them. So ha!

Fivestars:
Please Ignore Vera Dietz by King
Rot and Ruin by Maberry
Reality is Broken by McGonigal
Distant Hours by Morten
Attachments by Rowell
Game of Thrones by Martin
Clash of Kings by Martin
The Year We Left Home by Thompson
Gap Year by Bird
Ready Player One by Cline
Before I Go to Sleep by Watson
11/22/63 by King
Notes From the Blender by Halpin and Cook
The House That Baba Built by Young
Roots and Blues by Adoff

These are the ones that I loved unequivocally, but was able to function while reading them.

Fourstars:
Hush by Chayil
19th Wife by Ebershoff
Lover's Dictionary by Levithan
Ship Breaker by Bacigalupi
Anna and the French Kiss by Perkins
Where Men Win Glory by Krakauer
Accomplice by Corrigan
Tonight at 8:30 by Coward
Between Shades of Gray by Sepetys
Keeping the House by Baker
Silent Land by Joyce
Bucolic Plague by Kilmer-Purcell
Ghost of Greenwich Village by Graham
Domestic Pleasures by Gutcheon
Don't Stop Now by Halpern
Blink and Caution by Wynne-Jones
Cryer's Cross by McMann
Summer Rental by Andrews
In the Garden of the Beasts by Larsen
Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Letts
Karma by Ostlere
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Riggs
Divergent by Roth
City of Spies by Kim
Borrower by Makkai
Penny Dreadful by Snyder
Moon Over Manifest by Vanderpool
Tale Dark and Grim  by Gidwitz
Name of the Star by Johnson
What Alice Forgot by Moriarty
Berlin Boxing Club by Sharenow
Confesions of the Sullivan Sisters by Standfords
The Mother Daughter Book Club by Frederick
Much Ado About Anne by Frederick
Dear Pen Pal by Frederick
When She Woke by Jordan
Future of Us by Asher and Macklin
Hark, A Vagrant! by Beaton
America is Under Attack by Brown
A Nation's Hope by de la Pena
Bossypants by Fey
Home For the Holidays by Frederick
Witness by Hesse
It Chooses You by July
Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Levithan &Cohn
Heart and Soul            by Nelson
Dirty Little Secrets by Omololu
Food Rules by Pollan
Drawing From Memory by Say
Flotsam by Wiesner

-->
  
I liked these a lot, but I don't expect everyone to love them as much as I did.

Threestars:
Maryann in Autumn by Maupain
Grace by Scott
Just Kids by Smith
Crossing the Tracks by Stuber
Mare's War by Davis
Trapped by Northrup
Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Oswalt
Mad Men Unbuttoned by Vargas-Cooper
Dead Tossed Waves by Ryan
Wilder Life by McClure
Trash by Mulligan
I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Ali
Sixkill by Parker
Art and Madness by Roiphe
Once Was Lost by Zarr
Peace Love and Baby Ducks by Myracle
French Lessons by Sussman
Janis Joplin: Rise Up Singing by Angel
If Stones Could Speak by Aronson
Other Wes Moore by Moore
Pregnant Pause by Nolan
Screpbook of Franie Pratt by Preston
Candy Bomber by Tunnell

And these ones I didn't really like much at all, but I accidentally finished so I want credit for reading them!
Withoutstars:
Art of Possibility by Zander
Mercury by Larson
Starting from Happy by Marx

 

No comments: