Monday, September 04, 2006

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was something of a disappointment to me! I expected to love it. And I liked it fine – there were some very funny bits. But it didn’t take me by surprise with its wonderfulness the way that some other books on this list did. And I though that surely with my love of Ender’s Game I would surely appreciate the science-fiction-y-ness of it.

Alas, I did not. I liked it fine, though.

And I already recommended all the science fiction I know and then some. Ooh! But it is English! So I will recommend a few English things that I loved. Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson is brilliant and hysterically funny. Atkinson has a new novel that got wonderful reviews, but was far to violent for me! I also love The Adrian Mole Diaries and frankly anything (including its legion of sequels) by Sue Townsend. Let’s see…one more to make it three. Okay, this is a stretch – Tryst, by Elswyth Thane, is simply the most English seeming book I have ever read - even though it was written by an American. It is an old fashioned ghost story with a bit of a love story. It has nothing at all to do with The Hitchhiker’s Guide, other than the country in which it is set. And even then, Hitchhiker is only really set in England for a few minutes!

No comments: