Saturday, January 06, 2018

My 2017 Reading Stats

Well I just managed to scrape past 100 books. I had 102. This year I only counted books that I completed. This means that in February - June I only averaged 3.3 books a month because I started a ton of stuff that I then discarded. I give a book 30-50 pages and then it goes in the scrapper. Well, not really the scrapper - it just goes back to the library. But I promptly forget about it. Hence the not even bothering to try to keep track!

As usual, I read mostly YA - 38 titles. I read 26 books for adults, 15 middle grade, 12 children's books and 7 picture books.

And as usual, I mostly read fiction - 82 titles vs. 20 non-fiction titles. And most of my non-fiction were memoirs or essays. What can I say, I like a story...

I had a banner year for graphic reading! I read 18 graphic novels - eight of which were biographies or memoirs.

I read 27, 510 pages this year - 2,292 a month - 529 a week - 75 a day. Of course, this only counts the books I finished, so really, I am just a monster of reading.

And now - the actual books! They are all 4 or 5 stars. I will highlight my best of the year in the next post...

YA

-->
Solo – Kwame Alexander
Landscape with Invisible Hand - MT Anderson
Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo
Crooked Kingdom - Leigh Bardugo
Shadow and Bone – Leigh Bardugo
Language of Thorns – Leigh Bardugo
I am Deborah Sampson – Patricia - Clapp
Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth - Patricia Clapp
Jane-Emily - Patricia Clapp
Don't Get Caught – Kurt Dinan
For the Record - Charlotte Huang
I Kill Giants - Joe Kelly
We are Okay - Nina LaCour
Like No Other - Una LaMarche
Outrun the Moon – Stacey Lee
Betsy was a Junior - Maud Hart Lovelace
Warcross – Marie Lu
Devoted - Jennifer Mathieu
Moxie - Jennifer Mathieu
Down Among the Sticks and Bones – Seanan McGuire
Every Heart a Doorway – Seanan McGuire
One of Us is Lying – Karen McManus
When Dimple Met Rishi – Sandhya Menon
Holding Up the Universe - Jennifer Niven
Lost at Sea - Bryan Lee O'Malley
Hanging Out With Cici - Francine Pascal
My First Love and Other Disasters - Francine Pascal
Long Way Down - Jason Reynold
Anna and the Swallow Man – Gavriel Savit
I Woke Up Dead at the Mall – Judy Sheehan
Thornhill – Pam Smy
Our Chemical Hearts – Krystal Sutherland
The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas
Amy, Chelsea, Stacey, Dee - Mary G. Thompson
Paper Girls - Brian K. Vaughn
Paper Girls 2 - Brian K. Vaughn
Paper Girls 3 Brian K. Vaughn
Love & Gelato - Jenna Evana Welch
Spill Zone – Scott Westerfeld
The Sun is Also a Star – Nicola Yoon

ADULT
Menopause Confidential - Tara Allmen
California Dreamin' - Penelope Bagieu
Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell - W. Kamau Bell
Sleepwalk with Me - Mike Birbiglia
Tetris - Box Brown
Andre the Giant - Box Brown
I'll Have What She's Having - Erin Carlson
Going in to Town - Roz Chast
Al Franken, Giant of the Senate - Al Franken
Girl in Dior - Annie Goetzinger
Victoria - Daisy Goodwin
Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi
We are Never Meeting in Real Life - Samantha Irby
Anne Frank - Sid Jacobson
An Age of License - Lucy Knisley
Gather the Daughters - Jennie Melamed
How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You - Oatmeal
Prairie Song - Cheryl Ann Porter
The Alice Network - Kate Quinn
Dear Farenheit 451 – Annie Spence
The Fifth Beatle - Vivek Tiwary
A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles
The Animators - Kayla Raw Whitaker
Flapper – Joshua Zeitz
Young Jane Young - Gabrielle Zevin
St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture 

MIDDLE GRADE
War I Finally Won - Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
Girls: A History of Growing Up Female in America – Penny Colman
Inquisitor's Tale - Adam Gidwicz
Stepping on Cracks - Mary Downing Hahn
Journey to an 800 Number - E.L. Konigsburg
Compass South - Hope Larson
Snow White - Matt Phelan
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling
Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J.K Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K Rowling
On the Banks of Plum Creek - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Child Soldier - Jessica Dee Humphreys

CHILDREN'S BOOKS
Thumbelina - Hans Christian Andersen
Jorah's Journal - Judith Caseley
Mary's Star - Wilma Pitchford Hayes
Eddie and his Big Deals - Carolyn Haywood
Shrinking of Treehorn - Florence Parry Heide
Dinner at Alberta's - Russell Hoban
Pippi and the South Seas - Astrid Lindgren
Fanny's Sister - Penelope Lively
Betsy-Tacy - Maud Hart Lovelace
Betsy Tacy and Tib - Maud Hart Lovelace
Three by the Sea - Mildred Myrick
I Go By Sea, I Go By Land - P.L. Travers
Farmer Boy - Laura Ingalls Wilder

PICTURE BOOKS
Hoop Genius – John Coy
The Boy Who Invented TV - Kathleen Krull
John Deere That's Who - Tracy Nelson Maurer
Pop: The Invention of Bubble Gum - Megan McCarthy
Where's Walrus? - Stephen Savage
The Dark - Lemony Snicket
Awesome Minds: The Creators of the iPhone – Marne Ventura



No comments: