Monday, February 25, 2008

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

This book is on the list because,while my idea of an adventurous hike is walking all the way from the parking lot to the rose garden at Lynch Park, I know there are students who like nature and adventure and excitement. It was surprising how much I liked this book.

Krakauer is the author of INTO THE WILD, a book I read this summer that I loved. He was given an assignment from OUTSIDE magazine to investigate the commercial guide companies that were leading climbers up Mount Everest. He went up the mountain with one of these groups as a member, but also as an observer. When tragedy struck, he was right in the midst of things.

This was a gripping story. The background details, combined with Krakauer's personal experience make for a compelling read.

No comments: